User gallery: ruel941

Share your work with us, receive constructive criticism
ruel941

User gallery: ruel941

Postby ruel941 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:24 am

let me start the ball rolling. although i bought my NN3 MkII a year ago it's only this year that i've started successfully stitching panoramas. to be frank it really is habit forming. i am enjoying so much that i wanted to get a FE so i won't need to shoot so much to complete my sequences. here are two of my stitched panoramas.

the qtvr is here: http://tourguide.panoptics.co.uk/view.php?pid=661

the qtvr is here: http://tourguide.panoptics.co.uk/view.php?pid=665

VRwave
Site Admin

Re: User gallery: ruel941

Postby VRwave » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:26 am

Hey,

Thanks for being the first one to post here ;)

I've had some problems trying to install Shockwave, so I switched to the DevalVR version. Unfortunately, your second panorama doesn't work ... and I'm getting an error message.

I see some tiny blending problems in your first image. What blender are you using ? Smartblend might do a better job.

ruel941

Postby ruel941 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 pm

VRwave wrote:Hey,

Thanks for being the first one to post here ;)

I've had some problems trying to install Shockwave, so I switched to the DevalVR version. Unfortunately, your second panorama doesn't work ... and I'm getting an error message.

I see some tiny blending problems in your first image. What blender are you using ? Smartblend might do a better job.

Thanks for the advise VRWave. The second panorama works from my side I don't know why. I really didn't notice the blending problems. How do I know the areas where there is blending problems? I want to train myself looking for those prolems.

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:41 pm

A few bad blending examples:

What camera, lens, pano head and stitching software are you using ? These details can be useful.

I also noticed the nodal point is a bit off. Check out the zenith area.

ruel941

Postby ruel941 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:29 pm

wow! thanks for pointing that out. i used canon eos 7d with ef-s 10-22mm on nn3mk2 lower rail setting=53, upper rail=107. i stitched the squences using ptgui. i've read an online tutorial on how to set the smartblend plug-in but can't seem to make it work on my side. :?

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:43 pm

You're welcome.

If you can send me this set of images I'll be happy to take a look. Also include your PTGui project file so I can see if there's something wrong there.

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Joining in on this:

Smartblend isn't really the best for straight out blending. It is perfect for items that are moving like people, cars, clouds, leaves etc. In this particular panorama being discussed Smartblend would have sorted out the people. But really PTGui's own blender should deal with this overall content better.

But using Smartblend with PTGui is fairly simple. You need to download Smartblend and "place" it in a directory somewhere on your PC where you are not likely to want to ever move it or delete it by accident. You might choose directly your C: directory or like me, place it within a folder on Program Files. Smartblend is not a self extracting install .exe. You simply download and store in a location.

Once you have Smartblend "placed" you open PTGui and go to "Tools>Options>Plug-ins(tab)>Smartblend (browse) and show PTGui the path to the smartblend.exe file on your computer". You will then need to add your required Command line Parameters: like "-v -w -MinSize 32"

When you go to publish within PTGui you should now see Smartblend available from the dropdown list of blenders.

As for your NN3 rail settings. Your lower rail can be checked using my tutorial this is the easiest most accurate way of knowing if it is centered or out to the left or right. This will work fine with the 10-22mm lens you are using (or any lens for that matter) the only thing is you may need to shoot more rotational images than 6 the narrower the lens becomes. Whether your upper rail setting is 100% isn't that crucial at this stage as 107mm will be within the ballpark for this lens.

Potentially the control point placement could be your biggest issue with your stitching. You shouldn't reply on automatic control point placement only. You want a good spread from top to bottom of the image overlap. Avoid and remove "clustered" control points.

To me it looks as if you have not kept all settings 100% the same for all images in the panorama sequence. You must retain same Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, White Balance for all shots. Also images should be processed to correct for vignetting and chromatic aberration.

As already mentioned, if you make the set of images available for download we can assist you with making a better panorama.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Regards, Smooth 8-)

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 pm

omnipix wrote:Smartblend isn't really the best for straight out blending.

That's true, I've come to rely more and more on PTGui's own blender. It's really good, but if the nodal point is a bit off, Smartblend can fix that better, at least in my experience.

omnipix wrote:To me it looks as if you have not kept all settings 100% the same for all images in the panorama sequence. You must retain same Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, White Balance for all shots.

Exactly, the camera was probably on Aperture Priority mode.

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 pm

VRwave wrote:That's true, I've come to rely more and more on PTGui's own blender. It's really good, but if the nodal point is a bit off, Smartblend can fix that better, at least in my experience.

Outside of the blender issue. Nodal Point is not the correct term nor the place we need rotate around. This is the "Entrance Pupil" of the lens or more importantly the NPP (No Parallax Point or No Parallax Position). This may not seem a big deal, but as your site (this site) aim is too be the place of all things panorama and learning. Really it is time the term "nodal point" is not used to describe the point of no parallax as they are NOT related. It is a hangover from many, many years of misinformation and surely not helped by vendors using the term nodal in their business names or user instructions.

Regards, Smooth 8-)

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Hehe :) , I'm painfully aware of all the terms used to describe the point we need to rotate around. Sometimes I use the term "nodal point" when I'm not paying attention, just out of habit, perhaps because it's very common and people generally understand what I'm talking about. I'll be careful not to make that mistake again, thanks for pointing it out.

What do you think about the newest term - "least parallax point" ? This could accurately be used for both fisheye and rectilinear lenses.

Return to “User Galleries”