Share your work with us, receive constructive criticism
omnipix

Re: User gallery: ruel941

Postby omnipix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:04 am

G'day,

Few problems here.

1] Woeful White Balance
2] Poor Focus

Really good images would fix most of the errors.
It is just as important (if not even more so) to have great clear images when setting up your NPP.

3] Incorrect Lens Type (You should select Fullframe 9mm)

lens_type.jpg
lens_type.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 5166 times

4] You need to also optimize lens/sensor shift (vertical and horizontal) in the optimizer.

shift.jpg
shift.jpg (71.6 KiB) Viewed 5166 times

That said, your NPP is not bad. The upper rail is pretty much spot on but the lower rail as you can see (once optimised correctly) the lower rail needs adjusting slightly to the left (when standing behind the camera).

ruel941_nadir_footprint.jpg
ruel941_nadir_footprint.jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 5166 times

Continued: See next post

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:21 am

lens_settings.jpg
lens_settings.jpg (98.1 KiB) Viewed 5165 times

5] Control Point placement (not enough and too clustered)
You control points should be more like this

control_points.jpg
control_points.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 5165 times

Based on what you have shown in this PTGui .pts project file you will also need to go over your previous camera setting as well.

You can download my version of your project file from here

Regards, Smooth 8-)

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:51 am

Something I should have mentioned.
You will get a much clearer idea about the nadir footprint and it's positioning if you blend with Smartblend.

smartblend_nadir_footprint.jpg
smartblend_nadir_footprint.jpg (57.29 KiB) Viewed 5161 times

While I don't suggest using Smartblend where it isn't needed because PTGui own blender is better at normal scenes.
Where people and moving objects are in view then Smartblend is the logical option.

You can plainly see that the "circular saw type" teeth pattern is easier to read after blending using Smartblend.
In this case the camera needs to move to the left on the lower rail (whilst standing behind the camera).

Regards, Smooth 8-)

ruel941

Postby ruel941 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for the detailed tutorial Smooth.
Pardon the white balance, it was an IR-conveted 1000D.
Focus: Where should I focus? I understand I have to set the lens at its hyperfocal distance.
Are the lens correction parameters in the Lens Settings tab automatically set by the PTGui?

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:00 pm

ruel941 wrote:Pardon the white balance, it was an IR-conveted 1000D.

Oh yes, you had mentioned that. I simply forget. No wonder it wouldn't correct! :lol:
ruel941 wrote:Focus: Where should I focus? I understand I have to set the lens at its hyperfocal distance.

Yes, hyperfocal distance is correct but it will change between indoors and out. I suggest you place some text on a wall (say newspaper) and move the camera back 1.2 to 1.3 meters and using "Live View" get a good focus and that should be good for most circumstances. Use a remote or self timer to trigger the shutter and if you have the option use mirror lock-up fuction.
ruel941 wrote:Are the lens correction parameters in the Lens Settings tab automatically set by the PTGui?

The parameters will auto set, once you have set the control points and optimized correctly.
You should though, manually set the lens type to Fullframe and set the size to 9mm initially. Don't forget to optimize the "shift" parameters.

The figures that show in this project file will alter marginally with the inclusion of a zenith shot.

Regards, Smooth 8-)

Return to “User Galleries”