Combat Air Museum- Forbes Field- Topeka, KS

Share your work with us, receive constructive criticism
kskarma

Combat Air Museum- Forbes Field- Topeka, KS

Postby kskarma » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:30 pm

This pano was taken from the top of a 12 foot step ladder using a 15 foot painters pole with my Nikon D700 and a Sigma 17-35mm lens mounted on it. The painters pole fits nicely through the top platform of the ladder giving me a GREAT sense of security with several pounds of camera/lens mounted high in the air. Each panel was exposed using a 7 step bracketing setting...from 3 stops under exposed to 3 stops over... I rotated the pole/camera by guess...while watching the 'live view LCD' on the camera back. After I had all the 49 total images (7 X 7...remember your 'times' tables?) I used Photomatix to do the HDR treatment and then PhotoMerge...from PhotoShopElements 9 did the final stitching. The captions were added with Printmaster.

Since this project had a wide range of lighting...from nearly full sunlight to deep shadows, HDR was invaluable in giving me the ability to bring out a much better exposure range than any one setting could have done. Using the vertical pano orientation for my images also gave a much more dramatic view of the hangar roof and a nice place for some descriptive text.
West Side Pano NO Credits (Large).jpg
West Side Pano NO Credits (Large).jpg (125.25 KiB) Viewed 11952 times

VRwave
Site Admin

Re: Combat Air Museum- Forbes Field- Topeka, KS

Postby VRwave » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 pm

That's a great panorama and I bet it looks really nice when printed.

Kudos for the acrobatics :) ... and for describing your workflow to us in such a nice way.

Keep them coming ...

kskarma

Postby kskarma » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:10 am

Thanks a lot for your warm remarks...and you are right about seeing it printed. I usually print things like this in 13" X 19" size, the largest my Espon 1400 will do...and that 'small poster' size is pretty impressive. The folks at the Air Museum really liked being able to see most all of the planes in that hanger shown in just one photo...a BIG hit...!

After I posted that photo, I started wondering if I should have put it in the Gallery here. It is neither a VR nor a 360 shot and I am not sure if you have some sort of guidelines for panos... Since I am new here, I don't want to wear out my welcome..!

And a bit more about my pano set up...this photo shows the rigging I use for these projects. I have a 12 foot stepladder that I use along with a 16 foot painter's pole. (The pole has positive click stops...a MUST as far as I am concerned!!) As I mentioned, the painters pole can be extended through the center of the top platform of the ladder...there is a place there for a paint bucket with a 2" hole in the middle...just perfect for my needs. In this photo you can see my Nikon D700 mounted at the top of the pole which is extended to nearly full height. I still needed to be able to see the "LiveView" on the rear LCD when I lined up each pano panel. Visible (VERY visible...the bright orange object!!) about 5 feet off the floor is one of those post levels used during fencing contruction that I use to get the pole vertical. It's very easy to move the bottom of the pole a few inches in any direction to obtain a true vertical pole for the shot. The ladder is very stable when I am at the top and the last thing I need to to feel is a lot of shaking...I do enough of that on my own..!!! I use either a radio trigger or a wired remote cable to trip the shutter when I am ready for the sequence. Shooting 9 bracketed images takes about a second and a half...and then I rotate to the next segment and repeat.

Pladder.jpg
Pladder.jpg (249.25 KiB) Viewed 11940 times

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:25 am

You don't have to worry, all types of panoramas can be posted here. There are no restrictions.

kskarma wrote:The folks at the Air Museum really liked being able to see most all of the planes in that hanger shown in just one photo...a BIG hit...!

Maybe they'll let you do more panos ;)

I'm glad you've shown us a picture of your setup, I was a bit curious about how it looks like. Seems very stable.

If you need a more portable solution, you might want to look into adapting a tripod to support your pole. Some examples here: http://www.panoguide.com/forums/commercial/8772 .

I noticed you don't rotate around the entrance pupil/no parallax point ... did you have any problems stitching the images ?

kskarma

Postby kskarma » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:36 am

Thanks for providing the clairity on pano postings...

And...I pretty much have the run of the place at the Air Musuem....I've done a lot of speciality work for them, mostly in the form of montages of the activities there, the displays, etc.

The tripod set up shown in the link is a unique idea...thanks for the URL to that..always good to see the solutions that others have come up with. Manfrotto makes a similar tripod based tall pole support. I think theirs might go to about 16 feet, but I don't see a way to rotate the pole, you would need a motor under the camera I think. The model number for a version of this stand is 269BU.

And for the possible parallax problems with my rig...and you are right, I just used a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head with the camera in vertical orientation for that shot...so the entire camera was rotated around the pivot point. I use the PhotoMerge in PhotoShopElements 9 for my stitching and I've found it to be VERY forgiving of minor misalignments. I've used it to make panos from hand held shots several times and it always seems to find the right place to make the joins. I think the major reason that it has worked so well with less than perfectly positioned images, is that the distance from the camera to the nearest object is far enough to not be a big factor. In the case of the Museum pano, I am guessing the nearest plane was about 20-25 feet from the lens.

I now have a 360Precision Absolute pano head which will eliminate the parallax, but at the cost of some extra weight, so I don't think I'll be using it on top of the pole. The camera, lens and pano head would be around 10 pounds...pretty hefty...! I will be able to attach it to the top of the ladder however...so, stay tuned..!

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 am

kskarma wrote: Manfrotto makes a similar tripod based tall pole support. I think theirs might go to about 16 feet, but I don't see a way to rotate the pole, you would need a motor under the camera I think. The model number for a version of this stand is 269BU

There's an even bigger one, Manfrotto 269HDBU. It can reach 24ft/7.3m, but you don't really have to extend it all the way up. Set up for panoramic photography, it looks like this ... you can add guy wires for increased stability. Since the weight is around 22lbs/10kg you might want to carry it on $40 golf trolley.

The perspective, even from such a moderate height (compared with higher masts and aerial panoramas), is amazing: 1, 2.

kskarma wrote:I don't see a way to rotate the pole, you would need a motor under the camera I think.

Michel Thoby found a simpler solution: you can rotate the mast from the second element up, there's a picture here. More details on this page.

kskarma

Postby kskarma » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Those links sure show some very interesting approaches to the problem of getting that overhead shot..!! Some of the photos of those bits of gear really make me shudder...when I think of having my expen$ive $tuff waving around that far above my head, I start to feel faint....!! However I know there are many lighter and less expensive cameras that do work a lot better in those applications.

With my rig...Pole/ladder...(The Pladder??)..I can use it with the pole touching the ground as shown....or...if I feel brave, I can slide the pole up another 10 feet or so above the top of the ladder while still holding/controlling it as I stand mid-way up the steps...this would give me a total height of around 25 feet...7+ meters. I sure would want to use a point and shoot camera if/when I did this... There is probably some mathmatical algorithm that deals with CamerCost vs. PoleHeight...!! I am sure it is some kind of inverse relationship. A challenge for others on here maybe???

Thanks again for all the links...definitely some food for thought.

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:16 pm

You're welcome.

For a lighter setup see Smooth's experiment with the Sony NEX5 and Samyang 8mm fisheye.

Aldowin

Postby Aldowin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 am

Return to “User Galleries”