Nikkor 10.5mm nadir patch size ?

Lenses used for panoramic photography
Milos

Nikkor 10.5mm nadir patch size ?

Postby Milos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question ...

I'm planning to buy a Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye for creating virtual tours. How big is the nadir patch if I shoot 6+1 at 0 degrees ? Or should I try at -15 ? How long does it take to fix it in Photoshop ?

Thank you,

Milos

VRwave
Site Admin

Re: Nikkor 10.5mm nadir patch size ?

Postby VRwave » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Welcome to the forum !

Check out Eric Rougier's site for an example: http://www.fromparis.com/technical/a-sm ... oshop.html .

If your panohead has a small footprint you should definitely use a -15° pitch when using the 10.5mm fisheye, because the nadir "hole" is quite large.

The difference is significant and you will save a lot of PhotoShop editing time, especially when dealing with shadows and reflections in that area ... as they can't be properly handled event with the viewpoint correction technique.

Of course, you can always take a nadir image, handheld or like this: http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical6.html .

Milos

Postby Milos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Thank you so much !

So, I need a panohead with a small footprint ...

The nadir is HUGE if you don't tilt the lens.

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:09 am

There is little advantage tilting -15 degrees unless you need to capture the edge of the panohead footprint.
As shown in my NPP set up tutorial

When shooting approximately -10 degrees gives you the smallest possible nadir hole without capturing the panohead.
The reason you don't want to capture the panohead is because your automatic control point placement could land on the panohead and it can also add a darkened area to the blend.

Regards, Smooth 8-)

hindenhaag

Postby hindenhaag » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:05 am

You may download my pics to check it yourself if you like:

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/file ... 0.5_f2.zip

Shot on NN5.NN3 would be the same. Workflow: 0°, +5° +7.5° for R1/R10 check, 2x +60°for horizontal connection or white ceilings to connect to horizontal, +90°, 2x Nadir -90° with NN Nadir Adapter. Orange dots are laser placed for manual horizontal/vertical CP if needed.

Regards,
Heinz

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, Smooth and Heinz !

There is little advantage tilting -15 degrees unless you need to capture the edge of the panohead footprint.

When shooting approximately -10 degrees gives you the smallest possible nadir hole without capturing the panohead.

That makes perfect sense. I will add this to the database. Unfortunately, not many panoramic heads have -10° click stops or a small enough rotator footprint.

As shown in my NPP set up tutorial.

You put quite some work into it, it's a very interesting read. :) It would be great if you could add your Optimal Stitching Position (OSP) tutorial to the "Questions and Answers" section of the forum ... or I can do it, if you don't have the time and it's alright with you.

hindenhaag@mac.com wrote:You may download my pics to check it yourself if you like:

Thank you for the images, I will definitely have a look.

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:58 pm

VRwave wrote:
As shown in my NPP set up tutorial.

You put quite some work into it, it's a very interesting read. :) It would be great if you could add your Optimal Stitching Position (OSP) tutorial to the "Questions and Answers" section of the forum ... or I can do it, if you don't have the time and it's alright with you.

If it interests you I will add it to your forum. Let me re-write it and add a few more points in an attempt to make it a clearer read for newbies and older (thickheads). Some find it very clear and a good help, others simply dismiss it due to lack of understanding. I will do this over a period of time in the near future.

Regards, Smooth 8-)

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:01 pm

That would be great. ;)

omnipix

Postby omnipix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:15 pm

VRwave wrote:

That makes perfect sense. I will add this to the database. Unfortunately, not many panoramic heads have -10° click stops or a small enough rotator footprint.

Yes, quite true. If the size of the nadir footprint is important to your workflow you need to give serious consideration when selecting a panohead. Most of Nodal Ninja range is fine giving a smallish footprint. Where as most of the 360P range leaves quite a large footprint.

Basically if the rotator is larger than your tripod mounting flange it is not the one you want when seeking a small nadir footprint. The Nodal Ninja R-D3L panohead with built in levelling base is about as large as you would want and even then you should align the thumb adjusting screws with your tripod legs to minimise infringement.

You can see it is incorrectly positioned in this image.
You can clearly see that if the thumbs adjusters were to be positioned over the tripod legs they would be less intrusive and they would be less to patch/clone or cover.
Also the less tension knobs for ballheads and centre columns in view the better also. Elevating the lower rail from the rotator will also decrease the footprint size. Agnos offer the A-CLN Adapter Column for just this improvement.

As for click stops on the upper arms, most panoheads don't offer this feature anyway. But yes, the Nodal Ninja 5 has lock stops at 15 degrees and the new M1 series at 7.5 degrees. I think from memory the Agnos MrotatorU is also 15 degrees. Still, with all of these you can manually place the tilt at any position, simply ignore the click or lock stops. I've seen others try many inventions to get the -10 degrees from drilling a hole and placing a pin through, making a groove with a hacksaw and lining up the slots, custom printed plastic moulding and even things as simple as reflective tape that is easy to align by sight even in low light situations.

Or simply read the demarcation marks and line it up!

Regards, Smooth 8-)

pano360

Postby pano360 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Is there any panoramic head with a longer vertical arm, other than the 360P Adjuste Giga ? 'cause I'm not a millionaire.

the longer the arm, the smaller the footprint ...

Return to “VRwave Lens Database”