Rectilinear lens data

Lenses used for panoramic photography
John Houghton

Rectilinear lens data

Postby John Houghton » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:33 pm

It's good to see the maintenance of the lens database is being continued in the revamped web site. However, it seems to me that it is largely a waste of time compiling individual lens data for a variety of brands of rectilinear lenses when they are all essentially the same. I.e. the data for fov, number of shots etc is the same for a Sigma 12mm as for a Tokina 12mm or a Canon 12mm or a Nikon 12mm or an Olympus 12mm etc., so there is endless duplication. Would it not be more sensible and labour saving to compile data for a list of standard focal lengths - e.g. 10mm, 11mm, 12mm etc. once and for all? After all, if you have a 10-20mm zoom lens, you may well want to use it at focal lengths other than the widest setting of 10mm. Figures would need to be given for different crop factors (as is already done) orthe list could simply use 35mm effective focal lengths and standard image aspect ratios (3:2, 4:3). I don't suppose for a moment that this is an original idea, but does it not make sense?

John

VRwave
Site Admin

Re: Rectilinear lens data

Postby VRwave » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum ! It's a pleasure and a great honor to have you here.

What you're saying makes perfect sense, I will try to find the best way to compile and present such a data set.

I was planning to expand each database entry following the model I developed here: Samyang, with more than just a picture, FOV data and the number of shots required for a full pano. My goal is to include - for each lens - links to reviews, panoramas created with that lens, sample raw image sets, various tips and tricks (sharpest aperture and its hyperfocal distance, how to shave the lens hood ... and so on).

However, I see no reason why I can't follow both models. The current one is more friendly to people who are new to panography or photography in general, the model you suggested can be more useful to people already accustomed to the field.

Thank you for your insight ;)

kskarma

Postby kskarma » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm

I agree with BOTH points of view expressed in the previous postings. (How VERY diplomatic of me..!) I think having the ability to find the specific lens that a user owns...especially a person new to this...is very helpful. And a chart/table showing the FOV's listed by focal length and crop factor would be very useful as well. I'd like to see that table extend to the longer lenses as some of us are interested in tele-panos as well. Maybe having the table listing by just 1 mm steps until 50mm is reached and then by 20 or 25mm steps up to 500mm??

I'd also add a suggestion that this table would take into account using the camera in BOTH horizontal and vertical orientations. I much prefer using my D700 vertically...in fact the Absolute head from 360Precision will only mount in that direction...so having a nice chart for both H and V pano sequences would be very helpful.

Great info on this site...thanks to those who put in the work to keep it running...

VRwave
Site Admin

Postby VRwave » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi kskarma,

Welcome to the forum !

I'll try to come up with something as soon as I can find some spare time, in the meanwhile I've posted a link to a panorama calculator in the Resources section.

kskarma wrote:Great info on this site...thanks to those who put in the work to keep it running...

Thank you ! I'm glad you find it useful.

Return to “VRwave Lens Database”